In this module we explore different types of buildings, who builds buildings and what buildings are made of.
Interactive music and movement elements in this module include directed and imaginative movement songs and activities in which the children will build, jump, lean, march, freeze and go on an adventure.
These songs address topics such as…
What kinds of buildings do we see on our way to school every day?
What do people do inside of buildings?
Who builds buildings?
What is special and different about our school building?
What materials are buildings made of?
How can we make a building?
… and more.
Many Projects to Explore
Display photographs of different types of buildings and ask the children to describe what is the same and what is different about teach one.
Pass out foam bricks and have the children hammer in golf tees.
Have a block building session.
Use construction toys on the sand box.
Build structures out of small foam cubes and tooth picks.
… and many more.
Aspects of development addressed in this module:
- Self Regulation
- Attention Maintenance
- Physical Development
- Purposeful Movement
- Interactions Among Children
- Shared Use of Space and Materials
- Relationships and Social Interactions with Adults and Peers
- Cooperation with Adults and Peers
- Spacial Relationships
- Language and Literacy Development
- Social Emotional Development
- Staff-Child Interactions
- Gross Motor Manipulative Skills
- Gross Locomotor Movement Skills
- Fine Motor Manipulative Skills
- Performing Arts: Music, Drama/Dance